Saturday, April 28, 2007

My latest adventures...

I type this slowly with a banged up a wrist, and what feels like a broken foot from coaching my softball team on how to successfully slide in a game. I certainly succeeded at showing them both the right, and the wrong way to do it. This, however, is not the adventure I wish to discuss...

Apparently, last Friday night, April 20, I discovered a new video game ailment. As a kid I certainly had my fair share of 'nintendo or genesis thumb,' and since getting one of those new Nintendo Wii's I have also discovered Nintendo arm, leg, neck, all around sore body with as interactive as the new system is. But now there is also what I like to call "Wii Seizure."

Last Friday, while playing the boxing game from Wii Sports I passed out, feel to the floor on back and proceeded to go into a seizure with convulsions, foaming mouth and eyes rolled back in my head, the full deal really. As far as I am concerned, it was due to a bad mix of not eating right, low blood sugar, general exhaustion, lack of sleep, and staying up past my bed time. I take it as my body's way of saying, "knock it off and go to bed."

The seizure lasted about 1 minute while my wonderful wife rolled me onto my side, which is when I apparently just went to sleep and started snoring (I've gotten quite good at that). I woke up to find paramedics walking into my living room. The awesome thing here is that 3 of the 4 paramedics are members of our church, Lake of the Woods. God didn't just send me an ambulance to make sure I was ok, he sent me my church in an ambulance. I love being a christian. :) Having God on your side is DEFINITELY a good thing.

I was hauled off to Mary Washington Hospital, got my cat scanned ("My cat's ok, I can play." "Scanned your cat? Billy Bob, they gave you a catscan. They said you have a brain, and it works, and you can play?That's awesome Billy Bob.") Lindsay and I made it home about 3pm.

Now if you've never had a seizure before, let me tell you... DON'T. It's such a pain in the butt! Every muscle in my body went tense and I woke up the next morning feeling like I'd been hit by a truck with as sore as I was. It's been over a week now, and my chest and back are still aching something fierce. Not only the sore muscles though, but when you have a wife that actually is concerned for your well being, she makes you go see doctors to make sure there's nothign wrong with you head.

Thursday I had the joy of getting an EEG done. They put a bunch of plugs and wires on your head and measures and records your brain activity. The results: There is nothign wrong with me at all and there is no reason whatsoever for me to have had a seizure. Guess what that means... more tests! Since this test shows that there is nothing wrong with me, they want to give me more tests! I have an MRI scheduled for this Wednesday night, and 24 hour EEG scheduled later this month when I get to have those plugs on my head ALL DAY LONG.

As I learn more about the fact that this was a freak occurence and that there really is nothing wrong with me I'll certainly pass that information along.

:)

No comments: